The goal of this project was to leverage the unique skills of artists and creators to promote absentee voting and voter education in the leadup to the fall 2020 election in Wisconsin.
In the midst of a global pandemic, we’re facing unprecedented challenges to running a safe and fair election. Misinformation about voting – especially absentee voting – is everywhere, which is why it is more important than ever to help citizens get the facts about safe voting. Under normal circumstances, volunteers would go door-to-door and run in-person events to help share this information and register voters, but adapting to COVID-19 has been difficult. This is why we ran a Creative GOTV game to safely get important messages about voting into highly visible public spaces in communities throughout Wisconsin.
This 4-day (Thursday-Sunday) mobile scavenger hunt challenged players to creatively share official information about voting in their local communities. Players competed for small prizes by completing tasks such as “do chalk art near your favorite cafe about how to register to vote,” “make a plan to vote,” and “Tweet about the game”
There were 98 Missions in total – 48 Trivia and 50 Actions – released over four days.
25 teams completed 1,312 Missions and uploaded 180 photos and videos in four days. The game reached more than 9,000 people across the state of Wisconsin on social media.
- 1,312 total Missions completed in the game (trivia and actions)
- 180 photos and videos uploaded documenting Mission completion
- 25 players/teams joined the game
- 35 players/teams downloaded the game code
- 40+ individual players
- 149 players/teams signed up for the game
- 49 on Eventbrite
- 100 on Facebook
- $349.06 gross sales; $191.71 raised for the LoWV
- 9,343 total post reach on Facebook
- 6,077 event views (est.)
- 1,175 page views on Eventbrite
- 4,902 reached via FB event
- 695 engagements with posts on Facebook
- 1,377 3-second views of game-related videos on Facebook
- 21 uses of the #CreativeGOTV hashtag during the game by players on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook